sje087

Simple Joy

I have a special place in my heart for different and unique things, which happens to extend to my reading selections.

Highwayman of Tanglewood - Marcia Lynn Mcclure I'm torn! I'm torn! I'm torn!

Let start with a summary.

We start with a startling beautiful chambermaid. Fair Faris. She is indeed in trouble. With the son of the house dangerous, evil and determined to have any woman he sets out to conquest. Unfortunately that include Fair Faris in Tremeshton plans.

In jumps our wonderfully loving, perception perfect mother figure, Lady Rockrimmon. She offers Fair Fair a position in her household at Loch Loland. Faris eager to flee the terror of Tremeshton, sets out that very night she receives the invitation. In her haste and somewhat dubious plans, she encountered by the handsome hero of tales, The Highwayman of Tanglewood. With poetic words and alluring presence he steals a kiss from Fair Faris. Breathless and indeed infatuated Fair Faris dreams of her dashing stealer of kisses almost every night.

A year passes and Fair Farisfinds herself blissfully happy in her position at Castle Loch Loland. She has gained a friend in Lady Rockrimmon and her beautiful daughter Lillias. When one day she learns the young soon to be master of the castle is to return things start to get interesting. We meet wretched court ladies, dangerous plots, terrible visits from Tremeshton and more! She meets and falls totally in love with two different men!!! OH!Fair Faris what have you done?!

This book had a delicious story tell.

HOWEVER--
I could not stand almost every other sentence ending in exclamation point. I'm sure this would be one of my favorites if only I could overlook the writing!! WHY. Even in the wonderful history behind the scenes Mrs McClure uses exclamation points!!!! Please your explaining something, there is no excitement to be seen in this.

Also, I do not want to spoil things so I will be vague. The high handness in one or more scenes absolutely infuriated me. At one point someone is told to hold Faris down so she could not escape, and no one blinks and eye at this command (and mind you this is the good guy)!

Sometimes Faris is a bit daft and listening to her inner mind is tormenting. At one point I just got annoyed. I've heard what she thinks, I know what her feelings are, please no more. Give more than some pretty eyelashes and slender figure, give her some flippin brains, some determination, some wit.

UGH. It was a great story to be told and it was full of wonderful guessing games.

I'm torn.